Come Thursday there is still no power and with the Brisbane river still set to peak we try to keep the radio going as much as possible. The water had again risen from the day before but not as dramatically. Over the previous two days we had heard various different peak heights so we have no idea how high the water is going to get so we just have to wait.
During the day I watch SES crews evacuate the next street over and flatmates see them swimming in the waters I assume checking on properties or something. The helicopter traffic overhead is pretty crazy and makes the day pretty loud.
Amazingly the water does not get much higher. It goes maybe a foot over the street signs and stops. We are all relieved but the river peak is not our only concern. Though the river peak might have been lower than expected the river damn is at breaking point. All flood gates are open to relieve pressure but it is sitting at 200% capacity, not that I’m a math genius but that’s more than it can safely hold. We are not sure if the tap water is still drinkable or if it is contaminated and no power is causing problems cooking wise and lack for food is making things more interesting too.
The night before everyone in the flat had pulled food together and we all had a big dinner together and on Thursday we decided to do the same. Since were all trapped in the house together we may as well make the most of it and after a very slow day of book reading and radio listening we end up playing monopoly by torch light. It turns out to be quite a loud game and rivalry is quiet fierce. Eventually after 4hrs we abandon the game. But guess what…I won! We played teams and myself and new flatmate Maria ended up with lots of property and thousands of dollars; I think it must be the first time I have ever won monopoly.
Now that the water had peaked we still have to wait for it to recede before we can see the damage. Being so cut off we have no idea what the rest of Brisbane looks like. We know that someone died in a neighbouring suburb bringing the death toll to 16. Friday will be another day of waiting.